Saturday, October 18, 2014

Crown My Town! Pt. 2

As I was saying, On Wednesday, October 15th, I decided I was going to head down to watch Game 4 of the ALCS Championship Series at P&L. My hometown #boysinblue Kansas City Royals had won the last last three games against the Baltimore Orioles in very tense and close games that ended in extra innings. If we won this one, we would sweep the series and would be headed to World Series.

P&L is really the Kansas City Power and Light District, a nine block area of downtown (Missouri) that was renovated and revitalized, linking several of the main venues for arts and entertainment. In the center is a covered open area called KC Live, where sports and other events can be seen on a jumbo screen. Around the area are
The back of the courtyard
from my seat.
bars and restaurants that cater to every taste and price range. You can sit inside and some places have outdoor patios facing the courtyard where you can dine and drink-or you can just sit/stand and take in whatever it is that is happening.
My view of the stage and
 screen at night

It's very hip and happening which is why I've only been a few times (as she chuckles to herself). I decided to go early and try to get a seat on a patio. I had my seat cushion, all my braces and devices, my 'bag' purse with a light jacket and a fleece, a snack, a bottle of water and a small bottle of Gatorade. My anxiety was high but I was ready to do this-on my own. I used my gps, found the garage right under the venue, immediately found an excellent parking spot adjacent to the elevator and steps away from the courtyard. This was too easy. Something dreadful was going to happen.

My view of stage/screen
daytime, with ppl standing
in front of me-can still see!
I surveyed the area around the stage and screen looking for a good angle. There were a handful of people around the courtyard and the eateries were just as sparse. I inquired about the patio seats at each place, most were reserved by people who called in earlier (I know dahhling? Lesson learned) Oh dear reader, jackpot! Spied a place that had comfy outdoor seating, linens, glassware, etc, and some bar tables and stools to the back.  I don't have to tell you what that means, do I? The place was/is MakersMarkKC. I inquired about the tables on their patio and I was told they required a minimum $50 tab. Ouch. Wait-fuck that! I'm an awesome date! It took me all of a second to blink once at the hostess with an expression of 'and? That's no problem' and say "May I see the view from that table over there?" Bonus. You will never guess what was on the menu. I had my fav's, including Prime Rib. I had my steak after all. It was the best money I ever spent. They made that day a truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The staff and my waitress, Courtney, went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable, happy and not in pain. She even charged my cell phone for me. I have already made a reservation for next Saturday.

I sat down at 2:20pm. I left the venue at 11:30pm. when my body screamed at my brain like an annoyed neighbor "shut the f**k up over there I need to rest!!". Was I in pain? Of course. Did I let it got to me? No way! The people at the table next to me were a wonderful help and made sure I was okay. My waitress made sure I was comfortable and did over and beyond what she had to do. Did I pay in pain? Severely. I'm still paying. My brain was in overdrive;
The crowd exploding
Did I say I have
no voice left?
epinephrine and norepinephrine were pumping. Energy was bouncing around in the air. From the moment the crowd was dead silent, watching attentively, holding their collective breath to the second when JJ Harding of the Orioles grounded out to third ending the game with a 2-1 win for the Royals and the entire city erupting into a fervor of excitement and jubilation our city was one. One entity. One team. One. This is what it sounded like from the parking lot...


The players arriving unannounced at P&L
spraying the crowd with champagne.
Pandemonium then party ensue.

I think I already said it. It was epic. EPIC. For me, it was the best day in years, truly. The day was beautiful. My seat, the view, my food, my neighbors, the crowd, the comradery, the atmosphere. Hi-fiving and hugging strangers. TV cameras. The players showing up
One of the KCMO police
Dept. tweets
where we were. My waitress offering and then charging my dead cell phone. The KCMO police tweeting during the game 'please don't commit any crimes we want to watch the game too!' How awesome is THAT?

The Royals were born the same year I was-1969. I was sixteen years old the last time (only time?) the Royals won the World Series. I remember the town almost shut down. We watched it at my friend's house then drove down to The Plaza, which was a sea of cars honking and waving and people running and celebrating. I never understood how in some cities when something great like this happens, people set fires and beat up cars as a way of 'celebrating'. In my city there is love, joy, and happiness. You can go into any store and talk to any person about anything and it's accepted. Happily. I cannot tell you how many hundreds of people I have greeted and spoken to over a three day period. Not the hi-fives either. Exchanged words with. I love this city. I tried to live other places, I've longed to live in other cities. When in comes right down to it, no matter how old I am or where I end up, I'll always be a Kansas City, Royals, Chiefs, Sporting KC, Barbeque Loving (and smack talking) midwestern girl.

I got that same table on October 25th, Saturday, 7:00pm (CST) for Game 4. The Royals face the Giants in what could be the winning game of the Series. Maybe not. I got the table. I'm sure I will have to answer to my body. Games 1 & 2 are home, Games 3, 4 & 5 will be played in San Francisco. Games 6 & 7the (if necessary) will be back at home. The city will still celebrate a win after Game 4 (it would be a Saturday after all). Well, to be more accurate, the city will celebrate for the next week to ten days. The only thing that could *possibly* be better? Getting to go to a World Series game, for your home team (even if you have to go alone but someone would have to gift you a ticket because you can't possibly afford the outrageous price because you have a chronic illness and are fighting for disability...just sayin'...)

James Shields-Pitcher

Lourde with former Royals player
George Brett's Jersey. The KC Royals
were the inspiration for her song, "Royals"

John Long-Lorde "Royals" Parody "Kansas City Royals"


No comments: